Thursday, November 3, 2011

Happy Halloween!


We had a fun Halloween this year. Guess how much we spent on costumes.... NADA! That's right, they were free, which is how we always had Halloween growing up with 5 brothers and sisters. I think that was pretty neat because we had to become more creative than ever trying to repurpose a witch's shawl or mask. We had this big cardboard box cleverly named "The Big Box"- and I'm not kidding about the name - that held off-season clothing and costumes. So when the seasons changed (well, sort of change in Louisiana), we would gather around Mama's bed and she dumped out "The Big Box" to see what would fit. It was like Christmas morning getting new hand-me-downs. I remember when my big sister, Gretchen, would wear clothes and I would scope them out because in a few short years, I might get to have them from "The Big Box"! Too bad she was always taller and thinner, though.

Anyway, back to Libby and Drew... Drew was Spiderman thanks to a friend, Laury, passing it down to us from her son. Drew only knows about Spiderman from his underwear and had no plan to dress up as him. However, he is also only 4 years old and easily convincible, especially when you REALLY REALLY hype up things-- "Oh, this is so cool, Drew. I bet nobody else will be Spiderman like you!" But guess what-- there were FOUR Spidermen in his class. Can you believe that? FOUR? Oh, and 1 was a girl, too. What's with that? I don't care because he was still adorable in that suit with the fake muscles and mask!

Libby was talked into wearing one of her fairy outfits that Pops and Maw Maw Deb gave her last year. It was one she had forgotten about since she hadn't worn it - you know, for like 3 months- so it was in the back of her closet. Well, it was like me waiting for "The Big Box" when she saw me pull that one out! Suddenly, we had a costume complete with accessories from their dress-up basket. That's MY kind of Halloween - FREE. Actually, my kind of Halloween is having Darrell bring them out in the cold around the neighborhood trick-or-treating while I eat pass out the candy in my warm sweats in the comfort of our home. Let's just say I had a serious Skittles hangover the next day since I must have eaten every bag of them in the mix bag. Sorry, kids!

Oh, did I tell you that the 1st trick-or-treater that showed up were 2 boys with pillowcases as treat bags that asked me for LEGOS instead of candy? Yeah, guess Halloween was brought to a whole new level, right? I just laughed at him and threw in a bag of Lemonheads. He's lucky I didn't throw in a butterscotch candy or better yet-- one of those yucky candies that was some sort of chewy brown nastiness that were wrapped in just plain orange or black wrappers. Did you ever get some of those? I always hated those. Wonder if they still make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...