As I was getting ready for work, I noticed my wedding band was missing one of its channel-set diamonds. UGH. Then, my van's battery was dead. AGAIN. Darrell came home, jump started it, and switched cars with me for the day (while he brought it to get a new battery). Things seemed to be looking up. Until...
As I was leaving a preschool in Fairfax, this is what happened to me (in Darrell's Jeep, mind you):
As I was going through an intersection, I noticed the car to my left slammed on its brakes. I braked myself and then BAM! A Honda Civic had run the stop light and I smashed into its right side. He spun around and ended up turning completely around, facing the wrong way in the busy street (Fairfax County Parkway). He was shaken up, but thankfully no one was hurt. I instantly said a prayer because the Jeep has a bigger front end, which is made of more "solid" materials than my mini van. I don't want to even think about what would have happened if I was driving my mini van today.
The other car:
A few hours later, my back and neck started getting really sore, so I decided to get it checked out at Urgent Care (one of worker's comp providers). I cringe at being exposed to all kinds of stuff in waiting rooms like this. Watching Howie Mandel talk about his OCD and germophobia on TV there did not help things! After 30 minutes of waiting, 1 nap, many prayers of thanksgiving, and reading a few more books of Revelation (since we are studying it in our women's bible study group), the doctor told me it most likely was just muscle strain. She suggested I take Advi, and gave me the clear to return to work. She warned me that tomorrow and Thursday will most likely be really painful. Let's hope she's wrong!
Lying down waiting to be seen by the doctor allowed me to think things through. I was so aggravated about my van not starting, but after looking at Darrell's car, I realize that his front end is much bigger and more solid than my van's. I thank God for protecting me and the other driver because had it been one milli-second earlier, things would have been very different. It's hard to ignore the message to "slow down with life and realize what you've got". Stop complaining all the time about bad things always happening to me. Start appreciating all the time I have here with my family and friends. Listen more, talk less. Be still and know that He is God.
This song came to mind most of the day today. Can you relate?
Pin It



Wow Katie! What a day indeed. Thankful to God that you are in His hands and are ok!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are ok! Quite a day! Love the song - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete