I found a recipe online for some "delicious" veggie muffins, so I decided to give them a try. Of course, I made some alterations, so I could enjoy them, too. I made mini muffins this time and the batch made 48 (so it will make 24 regular sized ones). I left out 12 and froze the rest. They taste sort of like spice cake, but much less sweet. So, if you want a typical sweet taste, add more sugar. L&D are eating them UP, so I won't tell them what's really in them for many MANY years! ;)
VEGGIE MUFFINS:
2 cups whole wheat flour (or what you have on hand)
2-3 tablespoons soy flour (omit if you'd like, but it adds protein)
* 2 tbs. flax seed powder (I added this myself)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used the same amt. in unsweetened applesauce instead)
1/3 cup brown sugar- I used Splenda brown sugar (or other sweetener-sugar, Splenda)
2-3 tablespoons honey (optional)
1 egg (I used Egg Beaters)
3 cups vegetables, pureed (I used baby food- carrots, green beans, squash, & sweet potatoes)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F
Spray muffin pans or line with muffin papers
Mix ingredients with electric mixer until well blended
Fill muffins 2/3 full with batter
Bake 25 minutes (my mini ones only took 15 mins.) or until toothpick comes out clean
Cool partially in the pan, then remove to wire rack
Store half in an air tight container
Freeze the other half. Microwave to defrost.
From the author: "I like to use sweeter veggies. Usually 2 small jars of sweet potatoes, 1 of sweet peas, 1 carrots, and 2 mixed veggies (you can find spinach, green beans and corn this way).
If you are using your own steamed vegetables, you may need to add some fruit juice to thin it out to the consistency of applesauce.
If you don't have 3 cups of vegetables, make up the difference with unsweetened apple sauce or mashed bananas."
Mmmm! Yum. I'll have to print this out! Thanks for writing it for us!
ReplyDelete