We decided to plant veggies this year and decided to have a container garden on our deck since this is where we get the most sunshine. We have been very diligent about looking for pests since our tomato fiasco last summer. Our Early Girl tomatoes are doing great and are so good!
Same with our zucchini (no veggies yet but nice and healthy plant):
But yesterday I checked our cauliflower and found this!
Yep, little green caterpillars all over! I picked off about 20 over 2 days and the kids wanted to keep them as pets. So we dug in the recycle bin for an old jelly jar and put in some leaves. It is pretty gross though b/c there is sooo much poop in there! Eewwww. But we'll have to wait and see if they form some pupae or chrysali (?) soon.
Look who has visited our tomato plant! They say that ladybugs bring good luck, so I hope this little lady brings lots of tomatoes, too. Libby was amazed at how teeny-tiny this little lady was- plus she kept asking why she was orange and not red! My favorite response of the summer... "Because that's how God made her." It has worked for a variety of situations already!




Love it! We have tried to do a garden three years in a row now and finally had luck this year...we moved so the new location must have been the trick. But we also had to battle bugs and critters so we got some great organic stuff that keeps the pests away and it really does! It costs more since it's organic but so worth it...I mean, isn't that part of the reason for planting your own garden; to get away from the pesticides?! Anyway, you should try it! I can find out the name of it for you if you want.
ReplyDeleteYes, let me know, Tiff, b/c I need to try it!!! ;)
ReplyDelete