Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stomach Bug is making itself comfortable in its new home

So I get a call from Darrell at the end of work Friday saying he now has the stomach bug. And Libby was still sick, too. I rush to pick up Drew and head home to the sick house. Drew and I literally quarantined ourselves-- playing in another room, eating separately (well, the others weren't really eating), and taking a bath separately. Darrell went to the basement and slept down there. It's really pretty bad.

Libby woke up looking so much better and was begging for milk, so I gave her about an ounce. Big mistake because she got sick instantly. UGH. The doctor said to call if she was still vomiting Saturday and yup-- she is. They wanted us to come in to be sure she's not dehydrated. We bundled up and headed out in 20 degree weather to the pediatrician's office. Seriously, when we walked in and saw the 10 families all hacking, coughing, and looking horrible, I almost turned around and walked out. I tried to decrease my anxiety as I half-sat on a chair between 2 little babies. Luckily I brought the umbrella stroller, so she sat a little bit in front of me. We waited there for 40 minutes. Then got back in the room and as Libby cried for 20 minutes straight begging for milk, a "Saturday shift" doctor walked in, took a 10 second look and said, she's hydrated (so did the massive amount of tears show it), so just keep doing what you're doing. We headed home and she went to bed.

Drew woke up and we played for a really long time. It was exciting to see the new toys from our xmas gifts we shipped up here from when we were in Louisiana. He was in such a good mood, so that was fun spending some good one-on-one time together reading books and playing with blocks. He walked over to a photo of Darrell and me at our engagement party and said, "Mama... Pop Pop", which is what he calls my dad. I think it's because Darrell had a goatee and my Dad has a beard. Funny!!

Libby's up now and Drew's down, so we've gotten into the opposite schedules thing today (every twin mom's nightmare). Poor Libby is so miserable and just keeps fussing, whining, crying, tripping on things-- the things you do when you ARE miserable. She just started asking for her nu-nu, so it's off to bed again.

Darrell seems to be feeling better, but is nervous to eat or drink anything but sips of water. He says the thing about this virus is that you feel fine and then it comes on like the devil out of nowhere. I told him I would wait another day just in case, so let's all say our prayers it will really be only 1 more day (oh and that Drew and I don't get it). My mom just read "The Secret" and told me to keep putting positive thoughts out into the universe so they will happen. So, all day (and especially while in the sick waiting room today) today I've been saying, "I have a good immune system because I teach young children, I will stay healthy, I will not get this. Drew is a fighter. He will be healthy with me. Mama and Drew will play together because they are both healthy." I hope my mom is right!

1 comment:

  1. I read this on my email (I get your posts emailed to me) but I didn't comment yet, so I know Drew has it now too. How are they doing? Any better? I hope its short-lived!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...