Thursday, July 12, 2007

Colic/Reflux is for the birds

Poor Dibba-Doo has reflux/colic and has been miserable for the past 8 weeks. We thought it was just typical colic since she started fussing at the "witching hour" of 9 PM every night. That turned into flat out screaming, gagging, spitting up, choking, and having so much trouble taking a bottle all day and night. The doctor said it was most likely reflux, so she was put on Zantac and a hypoallergenic formula (Nutramigen) right away. A week went by with no change. MISERABLE! Poor baby had bags under her eyes because she barely slept and cried all day long. We were getting little sleep as well and were feeling the tension. I called the doctor back and she added Prevacid. She's been on this combination for 3 weeks now and we're back to the "witching hour/s" at night. That's progress, at least. But it's so strange-- some nights it's just a little fussing, some nights, it's blood-curdling screaming for 5 hours or more. Poor Drew is starting to react to his sister's pain (or maybe he just wants some peace and quiet). He gets that really sad pitiful face and cries, too. It makes it tough for me some days when Darrell is at work and I have 2 crying babies! But luckily that is what friends and neighbors are for. Plus swinging on the front porch swing and going for long walks in the stroller helps, too. I didn't know anything about colic when I was pregnant, but now feel like I could give a seminar on the subject. It's funny how quickly you find out what works and what doesn't. But then again, the evil part of colic is that everything works for about 10 minutes and then it's back to crying again. That's the most frustrating part. Some days I feel like I wanna sell her to the gypsies, but all it takes is one of her giant smiles that lights up her entire face and I'm sold on keeping her for... about the next 18 years or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...