Today was my first day back at work from summer break and we are all exhausted. L&D did quite well being woken up early and dressed. D dropped them off at the sitter and said that Drew went right to her, but Libby was a little unsure. She fussed for a few seconds, but not too badly. I think they remembered their sitters and figured they'd be back to her routine in no time flat.
Meanwhile at work, I had trouble concentrating-- wondering what they were doing and watching the clock. I was right b/c it was harder to drop them off this year than it was last year. I made a card with all of the signs they are using so that the sitters would know why Libby is tapping her head or elbow all day! Work was hectic-- my office was moved, so all of my things were in boxes on top of a new desk in a new room. But then I was told I might be moved again, so to stay packed. Then I found out it was my turn to be team leader this year. So, it was hectic handing out the files, calling parents, and finding answers to ?'s I didn't know! But I know it will get better.
When I got to the sitters this afternoon, Drew was there to greet me. He kept saying, "Bye, bye," since he was ready to go home. But despite rubbing his eyes, he was still full of smiles and ready for hugs. That took away about 4 hours of my tension from the day. When Libby was brought up next, she looked at me like I hadn't seen her in 10 years and had abandoned her. She got that shaky chin and just reached for me. Poor Dibba missed her mama. When I took her, she just kept staring at my face and playing with my hair. I guess she wondered if she was dreaming! This took away the other 4 hours of my tension. The sitter said Drew had a great day-- ate, slept, and played well. Libby didn't eat or sleep at all and cried a lot. Her cheek was red from rubbing it on the crib sheet so much while crying. :( Nothing a little Eucerin couldn't fix, though.
When we got home, I took in a deep breath b/c I remembered that the cleaning crew came today. Nothing is better than coming home to a clean-smelling house with nice fluffy carpet and clean kitchen floors. I took in an extra deep breath, though, b/c we may have to cancel our cleaning service since the sitter's rates are increasing. I am really sad. :(
We had spaghetti for dinner and L&D were really good eaters. I just treasured every second with them and didn't mind so much when they threw those sippy's and goldfish all over the floor this time. They had a nice short bath, read only 1 book (as their eyes were droopy) and had several huge hugs and kisses before going "night night". They haven't made a peep since.
Next day will be better and the next even better and by Friday, everyone will be back in the swing of things. Now, Mama's tired at 9:30 PM and will be hitting the sack earlier than her usual night owl bedtime of 12:00 or later. Ooo--I just realized I have clean sheets, too! It will be a good night's sleep for all of us...
Awww poor Libby Is she usually more of a mommy's girl than Drew is? I feel so bad for you and her reading about her rough first day :( Thats hard for mommy too! You are right though, soon they will be in the schedule and it will be great. And then there will be the special days of fun vacation periods, winter breaks and then summer again. I hope you find out if you move soon so you can unpack and get going. and hopefully you can keep or just alter your cleaning service. That sounds so nice to come home to a clean house! It gets pretty pricey though (my friend owns a pretty successful cleaning company and her clients pay her pretty good - but its worth it). Hope tomorrow goes well! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, poor Libby! I'll bet she'll get used to the new schedule soon enough.
ReplyDeleteAs for you being tired at 9:30, don't I know it. I joke that during the first week of school, I go to bed progressively earlier each day until it's almost embarrassing. :)
Good luck with the rest of the week!
I hope everyone gets back into the swing of the routine quick so it's not so painful!
ReplyDeleteMy heart felt for Libby:( My heart aches for you too having to be apart from your babies! But like you said, your days will get better..
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so envious that you walked into that fresh cleaned house! We had a cleaning crew in Stone Ridge. I miss my cleaning lady. I liked her a lot. I am trying to get settled and wait for my new bills to come in so I can see if my budget will allow to do the same in this house. (hopefully, getting the same girl)
Maybe I can afford a once a month cleaning.
I hope you all have a better day today!
Aw, poor Libby...and poor mommy! I bet it must be just as hard for you to get used to being away from them again!!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are all getting back in to the routine of things!!!
How is the rest of your week going? Is Libby adjusting? Is MOM adjusting?? :)
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for an award. Check out my blog!
I love your blog so I nominated you for an award! Check it out! http://tatertotmarch.blogspot.com/2008/08/id-like-to-thank-my-twins-for-all-my.html
ReplyDeleteOh I almost cried reading about your first day back!! I know by now everything is back in full swing and you haven't missed a beat but poor Libby, that was heartbreaking!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad all of your famiy did ok with the hurricanes. It's been an eventfull few weeks weatherwise!!