Monday, April 26, 2010

Nature Walk

I have the privilege of knowing a wonderful woman, Lisa, through our church. We met a while ago at her house for an ice cream social she hosted. That was such a great day since I met some of the most amazing women and felt so comfortable with them. A little while later, we went on the women's retreat, where my life was changed forever. In case you didn't know, I was baptized that weekend. I had been thinking about it for a while and could not have thought of a more perfect place- surrounded by so many women supporting me and gathering around to pray for me. The theme of the retreat was "Thirsty" and we talked a lot about the woman at the well. I was thirsty for God that weekend, but left quite quenched.

Lisa has her own blog which is truly inspiring to me. She has her own ministry now, which I am just amazed by, but you'll have to read about it yourself! She also loves photography and takes some amazing photos. I was inspired by some of her posts called Time with My Father Part I, Part II, and Part III. So, I decided to take a nature walk in my own yard to document what I enjoy looking at every day. First, I have to say:



When I look at nature, especially clouds, flowers, plants, and insects, I just cannot believe that there are people in this world you do not believe in God. How on Earth could this planet have such beautiful, yet mysterious things if not created by Him? How do flowers know when to bloom or when not to bloom? How do leaves know when to turn the most amazing colors I have ever seen? How do they know when it's time to fall to the ground? How do animals know when it's time to hibernate and time to wake up? How do birds know where to find food for their babies? How can they build nests that most humans could not - and we have opposable thumbs! Why are sunsets some of the most beautiful sights one can ever see? I know there are people out there who can put science behind all of this. And I certainly do believe in science. But how did science come to be? How did scientists learn these things? How were we blessed with 2 beautiful children - our 2 miracles - without those brilliant Doctors Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe, who developed in vitro fertilization? I'm sorry (well, actually I'm NOT sorry), but GOD created them! To Him, I say thank you. Even when I don't understand what your plan may be at times, I have learned to put my trust and faith in you to execute it in a way that is best for me. Case in point - our 2 miracles, Libby and Drew. We waited and waited for them and just when we thought we'd given up hope, there they were to bless our lives and fill our hearts forever.

I think that my thumb is getting a little greener as I learn from my Mom, my Dad (both like to garden), and from experience. But no matter how green my thumb gets, I still have lots of questions for God because often times nature just perplexes me. First, I want to thank God for giving me (and all of my neighbors who compliment) these beautiful sights:












Thank you for the rosemary and parsley that made my meatballs so delicious Saturday night:



Thank you for letting me find this plant on the clearance table last summer. It had no tag, so the nursery workers and I have no idea what it even is. I will stand back and see the beauty it brings:



Thank you for giving me the patience not to give up on the climbing hydrangea that Mom and I planted probably 3 years ago:



Thank you for telling me that the forsythia we also planted then wasn't happy in its place. It loves its new home in full sunshine:



But, God, I also have questions for you. Like, why do my 10 azalea bushes in the backyard look like this:



And not like the ones in the front yard that look like this:



Why is this plant suddenly unhappy despite the pruning, watering, feeding, and TLC I've given to it? And how can it be saved?:



And why did you create some of us to be sensitive to things like this?:



and this:



Do you sit back and giggle when the weather forecast says rain all weekend, but instead you give us this?:



Thank you for always letting me know you are there peeking through watching over me:



But most of all, I want to thank you for this,:



This,:



and This:



Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I have also enjoyed reading Lisa's blog. Very inspiring! I could not agree with you more... how are there people who do not believe when we are surrounded by beauty that was not created by man but by God Himself! Makes me cry sometimes:(
    God is Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was AMAZING! It was absolutely beautiful and I love, love, love how you ended it...giving thanks for the most important blessings in our lives -- our families.

    Thank you for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...