We started at age 6 months with some basic signs: milk (for bottles), all done, eat. So far, I think they both understand exactly what these signs mean. Whenever I sign and say "milk", for example, they both get really excited and even start looking everywhere for their bottles. Just this weekend, both of them started approximating the sign (they started opening and closing their hands)! I told Darrell to look and he saw it, too. I was so amazed! We've been using "all done" when we're finished with eating, changing, bathing, getting dressed, reading books, etc. I think Libby knows what it means b/c she HATES getting her face or nose wiped and always throws a fit. Last week when her nose was icky, I had to use the aspirator thing on it. She was not enthused and started a fit. But then I signed and said, "all done" and she looked and stopped immediately. Wow! Here are some visuals for you:
We've added some new signs this past week: Mommy, Daddy, drink (for sippys), stars (for the star puffs), O's (for Cheerios), more, bath, book, and sleep. I know it sounds like a lot, but I think they are receptively ready for it. And these signs are for routine things, so it's easy to use them over and over each day. I searched today for some images to show you what the signs look like and came across this video. I thought it was really neat to watch and am excited to see we're learning the same signs (even the O's and stars). Take a look...
thats pretty interesting Katie. What the lady said at the end about people thinking it could inhibit verbal development - I have to say thats why I didnt do signs with mine. So, on my part, a lack of info I suppose.
ReplyDeleteAnd from what I have heard people say they started early with their baby signing, so if mine are 13 months isnt it a bit late?
I do stay very regular on the word I use with them all the time though. And I know they understand me well, but I can see where a Toddler still has a jumbled way of speaking that it can be tough to understand them, so the signs can be helpful.
That is amazing! I need to show my husband and see what he thinks. I am going to see if I can teach some signs right away:)
ReplyDeleteYou have to change your set up so I can reply to you when you post comments on my blog. :) By the way....thanks for posting comments on my blog!! :)
ReplyDeleteThe frames are great! Go buy one...or 2....or 3! And yes, I was a hairdresser for 8 years. I got all the COOL hairdresser stuff! *L*
Watch "Signing Time"...its on PBS. We love it and have even bought the DVD's and Board Books. The woman who created the program has a deaf daughter.