Recently, my stepsister, Katy, was injured after being thrown from a horse in Germany, where she and her husband, Brad, live. She suffered 2 skull fractures with a contracoup injury, 2 contusions on the brain, and an extremely worrisome blood clot. Things weren't looking so good and we were braced for the worst. My dad and stepmom flew over instantly, but information was scarce due to the time difference, language barrier, and cell phone situation of calling overseas. Every update we got was crucial and to make a very very long story short, Katy is now back in the US, the clot has basically dissipated, the contusions healed, the fractures did not cause displacement of the bone (which is fantastic), and she has basically most of her memory- she can even give details of the accident itself!
Katy has to go to a little bit of rehab for speech and occupational therapy-- mostly for higher-level thinking and problem solving. But other than that, she is doing great. I am so happy and amazed at her level of progress and can only attribute it to some answered prayers. When her accident first happened, I posted that I needed prayers on Facebook and asked our church's facebook group to pray as well. I just have to say thank you to the dozens and dozens of you who replied and helped Katy pull through!
Katy with Drew in the hospital:

I am amazed at her recovery, especially since I worked in a brain injury unit in a rehab hospital (as a speech pathologist) and saw first-hand how devastating brain injuries can be. Plus, my cousin, Jennifer, lost her life several years ago after going through a very long and hard recovery for a brain injury due to a car accident. She was basically a new person afterward with memory loss and a new personality. She went through hell and back to recover with therapists and hard work. She worked to get her G.E.D. and we were so proud of her. Shortly after, she suffered from ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) brought on by pneumonia that took her life. We were devastated, to say the least. She went through all of the difficulties of a brain injury only to be taken years later? It just wasn't fair. So, I'd like to think that Jennifer had something to do with Katy's recovery as I know she has a very special place in Heaven. :)
That is amazing! I'm sure prayer worked for her. Did they do any sort of cooling therapy on her to save her brain situation?
ReplyDelete