Saturday, September 12, 2009

The fruit of our labor

This year I planted some vegetables in my little garden in the back. I planted "Early Girl" tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, strawberries, blueberries, and tons of herbs. Well, the strawberries and cucumbers died and all the rest have nice plants, but not many veggies. I had bought the Early Girl variety of tomatoes b/c they supposedly produce tomatoes quicker than most varieties. Not the case here. We have a measly little plant with 2 stalks and have had THREE-- that's right-- THREE tomatoes from it. And these are small ones. But I heard from my neighbors that their tomatoes didn't do well at all either this year. I also think that my garden doesn't get quite enough sun either, which makes for few tomatoes. I'll have to rethink this next year. Libby and Drew have been waiting and waiting and we were so excited when some green tomatoes started growing. We talked over and over how we DON'T pick them until they are red. So when the first one turned red- we were all ecstatic. We had almost a little ceremony to cut and eat it!! We were so happy we took photos, too. ;) It had a really nice flavor-there really is nothing like fresh fruits and vegetables. But we're not making salads or salsa over here with our 3 little ones!









2 comments:

  1. These pictures are gorgeous!! I, too, tried growing tomatoes this summer. I had success, and made a bunch of mistakes as well. Here's to trying again next year! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard there was a tomato blight this year? I would love to have a container tomato plant on our patio next summer. I love fresh tomatoes in salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...