People ask us all the time what it is like parenting twins. Being first-time parents is always a challenge, no matter how many are born on the same day. There are stressful days, but those are greatly outnumbered by the fun days. I have been enjoying every second of being with the babies so far this summer. I wonder if it will be harder for me to go back to work this fall than last. I say this because Libby and Drew are at an age where so much is developing as they become little people. They are really starting to communicate with us and it's so neat to watch their wheels turn during play. Here are some funny things that happened last night and today:
~ As we were gathering sippy cups, we noticed there was 1 missing blue one. We looked everwhere-- all around the house, in the van, in the diaper bag. Nowhere. Then last night Darrell is sweeping the kitchen floor after a messy dinner and the broom hit something under this cabinet/cupboard we have. Voila! The missing blue cup! And it has liquid in it-- yep, it's old-and-moldy-curdling-sour-clear-the-room-with-its-horrible-smell milk!! This is one joy of raising twins.
~ I was on the other side of the gate getting something in the kitchen when I heard the toys drop and it was abnormally quiet. That is my cue that something is brewing. Yep-- they took my entire 32-oz. plastic sports jug that was filled with pink Crystal Light and poured it all over the ottoman, rug, and themselves. When I appeared, they both looked up with the worst, "I didn't do it" looks ever. Except the evidence was clear as Drew was trying to drink from the bottom of the upside-down jug and Libby's white outfit was pink!
~ My limits have been tested time and again as Libby and Drew throw their sippy cups from the highchair. I tried ignoring it, saying that it's "all done" with the sign, and praising when they keep them on the tray. I have said over and over, "Keep the cup on the tray," while tapping and looking at the tray. It hasn't worked. I finally took away their control of them and now take a break every so often during meals/snacks to hold the cups and give them sips. They are now used to this, but today Drew was grumpy (I suspect teeth-- or perhaps too much Crystal Light) and threw it when I wasn't looking. Before we could even react, Libby was looking at Drew and using that same pointer finger and tapping on her highchair tray-- I mean an exact copy of what I was doing. Oh no-- it's mini Mommy, which could be scary!
These are just today's examples of what it's like raising twins...
THose stories are so hilarious! Those kids!! lol I can see how this summer is way more fun than last summer too! If you find a way to teach them how to keep sippy cups off the floor let me know. I am so ready for the throwing food/drink stage to be over!
ReplyDelete