Saturday, February 13, 2010

Disney on Ice

Today was a fun day for all of us! We went into the District to see Disney on Ice at the Verizon Center. We drove to Pentagon City, parked at the mall, and took the Metro to the show. Libby and Drew had a blast-- not only at the show itself, but riding the Metro and escalators (many) for the first time. They just giggled and were so proud of themselves whenever they properly dismounted the escalator with help. I was proud of them because I remember that being pretty scary when I was little! Now onto the show...

I surprised Libby and Drew this morning with some Disney clothes. Drew loves, loves, loves "Light Buzz" aka Buzz Lightyear, so I found him a hoodie with him on it. He was in heaven. I also got him a Mickey Mouse sweatsuit, so he got to choose which one to wear. Of course, he chose Light Buzz. Libby had a Disney princess shirt and a Tinkerbell hoodie. It was interesting shopping for those because the boy stuff was cute, but all of the girl Disney stuff was hoochie or just plain UGLY. I mean, there was lots of glitter, cheesy tattoo-looking graphics, or "Tink" written all over. Ok, "TINK"? I remember her as a sweet little fairy known as Tinkerbell. I age myself...

The show was so much fun. We had awesome seats pretty close up. The characters were great and I was amazed at some of the fancy jumps and ice-skating tricks they were doing, especially those in huge costumes! Of course, I can't even walk on ice skates, so anything more than that impresses me. The kids loved it and also got to experience the most expensive cotton candy (yes, TEN DOLLARS EACH) in the world. They had some cute Mouse ears on a crown attached, so that made me feel a little better. That was the cheapest thing they had there. There were all kinds of spinning, light-up, over-stimulating things priced at $20 and up. Popcorn was $7! It's the first time they've had cotton candy and it was like pure crack to them. In fact, when I took it away from them after lunch hours later, Libby had a full-blown meltdown in Johnny Rocket's diner, collapsed on the floor, and screamed, "I NEED IT, I WANT IT!" It was hard not to laugh watching my little addict. Sugar is some scary stuff. We may need an intervention later, especially because when I got home from the grocery hours later, they were eating it again for dessert since they had good dinner.

But I have a Sleeping Beauty and a Prince Charming tonight all snuggled in their beds- crashed out for sure! And to think that tomorrow is Valentine's Day with candy and sugar all over again. Good grief.

My favorite routine was from "It's a Small World". It was really neat with beautiful costumes and lighted moving pieces. Take a look:



Waiting for the Metro:


When we first walked in and are suffering from over-excitement/stimulation:

























Riding home across the Potomac:

1 comment:

  1. Lucky duckies!! Thanks for sharing the videos, Bran and Faith REALLY enjoyed them!!Libby and Drew look like they were on cloud 9:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...