Sunday, May 16, 2010

Busy Day

Yesterday was a busy day. We went to Sam's 5th birthday party at the Moon Bounce place, which was a blast for the kids. But before we even left, I was a wreck. Libby and I were fighting. Yes, I DID just write that- fighting- with a 3 year old- about what she could and could not wear. I decided to be the mature one and slam my door and say, "Fine, I don't care what you wear, I'm going to get dressed myself." You know- real mature of me like I was 16 again.

I was overwhelmed that I wasn't ready, Darrell was still out cutting the grass, and I was fighting with Libby 30 minutes before the party started. When Darrell came in and tried to intervene, he found me sitting on our bed with a masking tape lint brush trying to pull only 1 layer (and not 2) off to get to a fresh new sticky layer. Yes, I wasn't getting myself or the kids ready, I decided to de-lint a pair of shorts THAT DREW WASN'T EVEN GOING TO WEAR! That's what being a mom does to you. You get overwhelmed by little things that mount up that you just sit and do something completely unproductive and unnecessary for the current situation. And you fixate on it. And you attend very closely to that and not to the world crumbling (at least in your eyes) around you. Darrell said, "What is going on with you?" He had a look of genuine concern. This is when I realized I was acting a wee bit looney.

I pulled myself together and we managed to get to Sam's party 35 minutes late. And naturally, part of her gift didn't come in the mail on time, so we had no present with us and I was anxious about that, too. But the kids didn't mind at all (or even realize, I'm sure). They jumped a lot, got their faces painted, had tons of candy, cake, and ice cream. It was fun seeing old friends and catching up.




After we got home, we went over to the Goodson's house for our monthly Louisiana Supper Club. I really like our new friends we've met through supper club. Unfortunately, I couldn't have fun or relax b/c I was crawling out of my skin wondering who's going to break what arm or get run over or fall in a hole or be struck by a meteor! Between the trampoline with no walls to the basement walk-out stairwell to the motorized Barbie Jeep that Drew was DRIVING for the 1st time, I just knew we'd be in the ER before the night was over. I couldn't look anywhere and everywhere fast enough and couldn't relax. So, a couple of margaritas later, things were better. Plus a long talk with another mom, who is going through very similar things (name withheld to protect the innocent) helped me unwind.

We got home at 9:30 and everyone was tired, to say the least. But luckily, today was a much better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading about us! Please leave a comment because I read each and every one of them and will respond as often as I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...